Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    2019 Australia Trip - Day 2

    May 27, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 20 °C

    Well, after 16 hours of flying, we are finally in Sydney! Unfortunately, our luggage didn’t come with us. After spending more than an hour with Qantas Baggage Service, with them calling both Kansas City and Dallas airports, we discovered our bags are still in Dallas!! This is the 3rd day we have no change of clothes!

    Since we have no idea when they can send our bags to us, the first thing we have to do in Australia is to shop for underwear, socks and shirts at Target! How frustrating!! When that’s done, we are finally starting our sightseeing.

    To kill 2 birds with one stone, we took our super friendly Uber driver’s advice and had a nice buffet lunch at the top floor of Sydney Tower Eye, the tallest building in Sydney. The food was fairly good, however, to continue our bad luck streak, the rain started. The top floor rotate 360 degrees, so we can see the whole city while sitting at our table, but the rain affect our view a bit. Fortunately the rain didn’t last long. By the time we finished our lunch, the rain stopped.

    Walking among hundreds and hundreds of people on the street, we marveled how bustling the city is. On our way towards Darling Harbour, we saw many shops and restaurants lining the streets. Cutting through the vast Hyde Park, many interesting looking birds caught our eyes. Looking closely, we realized they are ibis. They are acting like pigeons! Not afraid of human at all.

    The famous St Mary Cathedral towered over us soon after we started walking. It was a beautiful and majestic culture landmark! Although the Chinese tourists elbowed Steve at the door. The site wasn’t even crowded! I guess they were just so used to do this, they don’t even realize how rude that is.

    Kept walking, we soon found ourselves looking at the famous the Sydney harbor dotted with giant robot sculptures (transformers alike). Very cool indeed.

    Next stop, the Maritime Museum. We visited a tall ship that’s modeled after a captain Cook’s ship, a submarine and a destroy ship called Vampire. Evan was so happy, checking out every corner of all the ships.

    Considering we arrived Sydney at 6:30 AM, and had to rush to every place we visited, everyone agreed that we needed to go back to our Airbnb to shower and rest.

    And that’s exactly what we did. Hot shower! How nice!
    Read more