Satellite
  • Day 6

    Beautiful beach day.

    October 17, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Today the weather was hot from daybreak and at home I'd thought, on Naxos I'd hire a car and go for a hike. This idea did not last long as it was too warm and sunny for physical exertion.
    The previous day I had discovered Plaka beach which was about 2 miles from my hotel. A long expanse of beautiful golden sand. In summer there are campsites and beach bars all along but it was quiet and tranquil here today.
    I found a great little bar. The barman was a cool aging hippie and he made me a lovely melon juice with the last of the year's melons. Then I settled onto a sunbed and got out my book. Here, if you buy from the café the sunbeds are free so I was set for the day.
    The barman visited occasionally to check we were all watered but apart from this I had most of the beach to myself. I went into the sea for a swim and noticed some colourful fish. Then suddenly a sting on my leg and one of them was biting me. The animals of Naxos think I'm very tasty. I'm still very itchy from all the mossie bites. They are so bad the local pharmacist was shocked. I have strong cream now which is heavenly!
    After lots of sun I headed back to my room for a very welcome cuppa. I've discovered they sell teabags in little packs of 10 just for us tourists! The caffeine withdrawal at the start of the week was nasty!
    I did head to the showing of Mama Mia. It turned out to be me and two Swedish ladies. But we got a glass of wine and snacks as part of the entry price so all was good with the world.
    Read more