Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 5. SJT of Dalry to Stroanpatrick

    July 16, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    We have been deceived. We are not in Camelot but Scotland. Light rain and thick mist for our walk today.
    Maxine was the other guest at breakfast. Aged 73, from Geelong, near Melbourne, she has been coming here for the past 21 years,cycling. She brings her own bike over and cycles around meeting friends she has encountered over the years. An inspirational woman.
    The SUW goes past the back garden of our BNB so we hopped over the back fence to commence the walk, 4hours on the moors with only a short time on Tarmac or track.
    The sheep scattered as we approached. Probably don't get much human contact.
    This is a very wet part of the world and our boots were soon soaked. Should have worn the gaiters.
    Rating 5 tussocks is when you need a submarine and in places we got close to that. I lead so if I become submerged Shirl has time to get the submarine out of her pack.
    The lichen on the telegraph poles indicates how wet it is here. A small yellow orchid thrives in these conditions. When we saw large clumps of them we avoided there territory. I called them The Yellow Submarine orchids.
    We were thankful for Pocket Earth, an app on my phone, as the mist was so thick at times we were unable to see the marker poles.
    They say the views are terrific, pity we didn't see too many.
    Despite the conditions we enjoyed the experience.
    Read more