Satellite
  • Day 11

    Day 8 Kinlochleven to Fort William.

    August 6, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Off bright and early we headed off with the sun shining. A stiff climb soon followed and the effect of the previous day's walking made us labour to the top. Views were good and once over the top we made good progress passing the tents of the wild campers. As we approached one of them a young girl flew out of the tent. Our first thought was that she was desperate for the toilet. No! The dreaded middies were eating her alive. The spray she had was useless. We sprayed her with Jungle Juice and all was well.
    Continuing on an undulating track up the glen we passed several abandoned homesteads. Nothing but bog either side of the track. Good for nothing.
    After four hours Shirl stumbled and ripped the flesh on her left forearm and elbow. It looked and was terrible. We treated it as best we could and continued. Many offers of help were declined as in these situations there's not a lot anyone can do.
    Two hours later we made it to Fort William and the hospital. We couldn't fault their care and attention. It took about 2 hours to clean, peal the skin back and remove all the gravel.
    Arm on sling Shirl was looking tired. A taxi took us to the hostel near Ben Nevis where we cleaned up went for dinner then bed.
    Our original intention was to climb Ben Nevis on our rest day but we had given that idea up several days ago. It was not on now if we wanted to change our mind.
    Read more