Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Quebec City

    August 5, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We all had good nights sleep beds were comfy, though noise of us docking woke Sam and I at about6. We went for the buffet breakfast which again was goo with lots of choice, including omelettes freshly made which is Eds breakfast of choice at moment. Coffee was decent too.

    Left the ship about 9am with no plans other than doing a bus tour to see the City. Along the waterfront was the Museum of Civilisation. It had a London exhibition on which Ed fancied so we said we would come back to it this afternoon on way back to boat.

    We walked through the streets of the Old Twon, which was just like being in a French town. Old Montreal was more like Paris, Quebec more like a smaller mediaeval town. Got a magnet and T shirt in shop then went for coffee on way up hill towards bus pick up.

    Service was bit slow but shop had about 20 peopl;e dressed in old French outfits for the mediaeval pageant on later that day. Like Montreal, French first language here and quite odd hearing it. Everyone speaks English secodn though signs are all in Grench as opposed to bilingual signs we had seen further west.

    There was a bus in the square at the top but we had to buy tickets in the info place before baording. This meant we got the next one with room to sit upstairs.Was very hot in sun and bus only had earphone audio no line guide.

    Tour was couple of hours which was biut too long, lots of the newer parts we saw whilst architectuarrly nice needed the live commentary anecdotes to bring them to life. The Battledfields Park or plains of Abrahams was most interesting commentary, telling story of Frecnh v British battles and sieges in the site. Also area where concerts are held, McCartney, Elton John, etc were mentioned.

    We got back to the main square and went to an Italian Ed had seen from the bus. Was good food and not too busy. Then waked down to the Museum from before and went in. The London exhibition was cool, with lots of displays of designers, artists etc from London as well as musicinas and ocial scenes (migrants, punkc, mods etc). Giant aerial photos looking north south east and west were interesting to llok at. Must have been from about 2012 as could see our offices, but just the concrete shell with floor 33 on it. A balck cab and phone boxed featured. A city model had a poor imitation of our office on it. Was interesting to see London being portrayed as cool andthat people in Quebec would be so interested.

    We left with a magnt from the shop and went back to the boat. Sam and Tash had spa treatments, Ed and I explored thr ship, played some table tennis and ate in the buffet. Met the girls and went to the comedy show - Bengt Washburton. From Utah, a mormon with Swedish name. Some funny observational humopuir about toddlers, mormons and all sorts. Ed didnt quite appreciate some of it jokes, rest of us thought it was very funny.
    Read more