Satellite
  • Day 66

    Welcome to... Miami!

    May 26, 2015 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    Hola Miami! (where strangely enough quite a few people still speak Spanish.. maybe we've just never noticed before!)

    Arriving in the early morning from our red eye flight we were in a bit of a daze. Fortunately we were staying at what turned out to be an awesome airbnb place.. our host Lior was so chilled and relaxed, it felt like we were housemates in his apartment for the next few days.

    Situated a stones throw away from Lincoln St mall and a short stroll to South beach we had a relaxing few days soaking up the sun, doing a spot of shopping and absorbing the "Miami vibe", including some questionably dressed people and over the top flashy cars. A few not so nice pretentious types but you can't win them all I guess.

    Unbeknownst to us it turned out to also be Memorial Day long wkend in the states. Also unbeknownst to us Miami has been in past years a bit of a trouble spot over this wkend, with a huge influx of partygoers (in particular African American) and shootings in the past. Fortunately there was no trouble this year. The police were well prepared with patrol cars at every corner. Was quite a sight with all the interesting characters roaming the streets! Travis and I also celebrated our 14 month anniversary with dinner at "Mangoes" complete with an amazing soul band and live show from some raunchy dancers :-)

    Another highlight in Miami was our adventure today experiencing a Jet Pack ride! We had seen this on tv before so jumped at the chance at giving it a go. Basically the jet pack is a chair you get strapped into with a large hose connected to the discharge of a jet ski. The water jets propel you into the air (up to 30m at full throttle!) and a max speed of approx. 20mph. Was great fun!
    Read more