Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Start of The Road To Hana

    October 12, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Early start today, but we moved a bit slower than we'd planned, all good though, no rush. Got fuel for the drive just before 7 and we were on our way, but first, malasadas! We made a quick stop at Hookipa beach to see how the turtles were going. Lots had already moved out and you could see their slide marks where they'd dragged themselves to the water.
    The Road to Hana is 52 miles, has 617 curves, 54 bridges and is either very tight or single lane for a lot of it. We stopped first at the twin falls, there was a little bushwalk involved so it was good to do that first before it got too hot. The falls were quite little but pretty, I grabbed an iced coffee from the farm van out the front and it was probably the best I've had, even beating the caramel Starbucks one. On our way to the next stop, we got stuck behind a bloody porkchop in a jeep who was either driving in the middle of the bloody road (one lane but still), or he was going 5mph and couldn't work out how to give way. Ughhh. Luckily the scenery was a nice a distraction. Some houses along the road had food for sale or their toilets for sale, $1 a use, good idea we thought!
    Read more