Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Day 15

    October 13, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Well today was a day and a half - literally! After a reasonable sleep, we needed to be packed up and out of our accommodation by noon so, after having breakfast with a group of Swiss and Germans, we headed out. As our flight wasn't until 9.30pm, we booked a day room near the airport to chill out before needing to catch our flight.

    We took an Uber to our next hotel and our afternoon consisted of a combination of sleeping, relaxing and eating our remaining food. As the hotel was near the water, we walked along the lakeside path (beautiful weather) for some very light cardio! During the late afternoon we needed to head to the airport and cross our fingers we would have a decent flight home.

    Unfortunately, it was about this time that the honeymoon ended! Even though check in was quite easy, the seats we were issued were really bad economy seats. We had tried for business and premium economy, and still couldn't figure out how we missed out as they were still listed as available. I asked at the boarding counter if we could sit elsewhere, and she offered me an exit row seat which sounded more appealing. Wrong! When I boarded, I was dismayed to see that most of the legroom was blocked by the protruding exit door - this seat was even worse!

    I spoke to the CSM who then offered us other seats in economy which were not too bad. Well that changed when a whole group of travellers who had been delayed from their previous flight arrived. Once again we needed to get our bags and move, and this was after door closure! The crew asked us to sit anywhere so they could just do their safety demonstration first.

    We were finally moved back to the seats we were in previously, and the sympathetic crew gave us some comfort packs from Business Class. After the aircraft taxied for about ten minutes, the captain then did a PA - there was an engineering issue we would need to return to the bay for. During this time, the crew offered drinks and snacks to the passengers.

    Well the engineering problem wasn't an easy fix - we ended leaving four hours later! We stayed awake for dinner but we were totally exhausted by this stage. To make matters worse, Ted's seat didn't recline so he didn't get to sleep as much as he would've liked. I managed to get a few hours of sleep but I think I spent most of the 14 hour flight watching "Modern Family".

    Considering all our previous luck with upgrades, I guess we were overdue for one lousy flight! Needless to say, it was a massive relief to finally arrive back in Australia. All things considered, it was still a wonderful honeymoon with many more good memories to remember.
    Read more