Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa

    July 14, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Overcast when leaving, but nice to be cool. The first part of the walk was especially beautiful through shaded paths alongside tumbling streams over mossy stones, passing ancient, disused sawmills. Streams eventually joined a wider, slower river and then the rain set in. Just mizzle at first and then more persistent. Was nice not to be in the baking sun, but was still very warm.
    Much of the walk was through vineyards, sometimes interspersed with allotments. These still bordered the river.
    Amazing little chapel at Mouzos, built by one of the inhabitants to welcome pilgrims. He was at the chapel..
    Passed through several small villages and some woodland before eventually hitting the coast again. Double checked as passed a first bridge, but it was to the Illa das Arousa. Next one crossed the harbour at Vilanova de Arousa, stopping point for the day.

    Kind Hungarian girl swapped so I could have bottom Bunk. Nice hostel.

    Time for a wander in the afternoon, so ended up visiting a museum dedicated to Ramón de Valle-Inclan, a prolific Spanish writer. This is in his grandmother's house and has a walled garden that was the basis of many of his stories.

    No luck for the boat tomorrow so booked for 7:00 Sunday morning. A day's rest, just wandering, will be good.
    Read more