Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Nearly there

    July 17, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Started the day early thanks to Mr Snoreandwhistle and Mrs Flashlight; I have had better nights' sleep. Anyway, it gave me a good, if a little chilly start. First half of the 15km walk definitely more up than down.
    Some lovely small villages with narrow cobbled streets, wooded lanes and then the approach to the city. The walk through the suburbs is quite long, but into the old part and it's much more interesting. Many narrow streets dwarfed by the grand architecture of the cathedral and it's surrounds.
    Arrived in time for the Pilgrim Mass, so went out of curiosity, having had to make a mad dash to the left luggage office as backpacks weren't allowed in. Knee giving me gip so eventually found a seat at the back. Such a ornate cathedral and huge. The service concluded with the swinging of the botafumeiro, which was quite impressive.
    Next a visit to the Pilgrim Office to collect the compostela and then a light lunch.
    Somehow added another 7km finding accommodation; I'm staying in the Monastery overlooking much of the town and can just see the spires of the cathedral.
    Tomorrow should be a rest day. Finistère will have to wait for another camino.
    Read more