Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    The boat and onwards

    July 16, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    My 7h00 boat trip was moved to 9h20, for which I was very grateful. The boat could hold 30, which would have been very snug, but we were only about 18. The captain (who's name was Santiago!) was very informative, but fuller commentary was given in Spanish, less in English. He explained about the harvesting of mussels from man-made platforms and we watched some mussel collectors at work. He also told us to keep an eye out for 12 stone crosses which were to show the way to Padrón, where the boat carrying the remains of Saint James is said to have been moored.
    On arrival at Pontecersus, a 2.5 km walk Led to Padrón. It was market day and heaving with people. The noise and bustle was quite overwhelming. Still, it provided a great chance to replenish my depleted fruit supply and added some delicious fruit bread and Galicia cheese.
    Visited the church for a stamp which allowed me to claim a Pedronia certificate. To a non-Catholic, the service seemed quite evangelical with guitar, instead of organ and more time seemed to be given to the singer than the padre.
    Confusión over getting the Pedronia delayed my next stage. Having been overwhelmed by the number of pilgrims in Padrón, the route was suddenly quiet, most must be staying in the town.
    After another 10km,stopped at the municipal albergue just outside
    O Faramello. New, clean hostel with several eating places nearby. I chose the one up the hill, purely so that I could wander down to my bed. Legs définitely tired today; total of 20 walking km plus another 28 by boat.
    Read more