Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 78

    13th Nov 2012

    December 21, 2012 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Got up early for a trip to phi phi ley the smaller island and the setting of 'the beach' film.

    Firstly went to the famous Maya bay. Was the most gorgeous beach- would have been perfect but ruined by the 100 boats and 300 people on the beach! Crystal clear water and soft white sand. Was lovely had a swim and snorkel and then back on the long boat to the other side of the island for another snorkel- there were loads of fish there to see.

    After this we stopped on the way back to the main island to see some monkeys. There was a big sign saying 'do not feed the wildlife' but all the tourist were giving them bread for photo opportunities, Ben and I refused to do it, but we were the only ones!

    We decided to go diving that afternoon after seeing how clear the waters were when snorkelling. So got back on the long boat- which was the slowest one ever back to bungalows to get money and then go back to the village again to go diving.

    We went on 2 dives that afternoon and we saw loads! The best things were a turtle feeding, black tip reef sharks and a gorgeous leopard shark resting on the bottom. The leopard shark is as described with leopard print on his body, we got really close to it and sat on the bottom of the ocean next to it until it decided to swim away, it was beautiful, much friendlier looking than the bull sharks!

    As we had missed the hotels boat back we decided to have diner in phi phi village and get a taxi boat back later (which are ridiculously expensive!).

    After all the activities of the day we were pretty tired though and did not go back late.

    It was quite scarey though getting a long boat in the dark- there were no lights on the boat either, and then there was also a lightening storm! But got back safe and sound.
    Read more