Satellite
  • Day 1

    Athens

    June 16, 2016 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    After a long and mostly sleepless flight, we landed in Athens and found Nikki waiting in the lobby at the Athens Lotus Hotel. She'd already scouted out a deli where we enjoyed lunch and planned our afternoon. Since we were jet lagged & had been sitting for hours, we decided to walk to the National Archaeological Museum. Nikki especially enjoyed the ancient statues and was a wealth of information. Fading fast, we returned to the hotel for a nap before venturing off to dinner at an authentic Greek restaurant Larry had found recommended on Trip Advisor. It lived up to its billing & we particularly enjoyed the grilled veggie appetizer.
    Walking back, I spotted what I assumed was a liquor store so we ventured in to pick up some wine for the cruise. The checkout process was a little sketchy. The guy on the floor held up the bottle for another guy in a booth above to see & price. Once all items had been added up, we put the money into a basket that had been lowered down. It was hoisted to the upper level & our change deposited into the basket & once again lowered. Maybe it was a bootlegging operation, but we got our wine.
    Read more