Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Budapest to Vienna

    September 26, 2022 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    A simple trip from Budapest to Vienna - or it should have been! It turned out as our version of ‘Murder on the Orient Express’. No Orient Express, but our carriage was old with individual compartments and seats for 6 people. No problem, as we were 1st class and nobody else in with us - yet! No Murder, but about half way through the journey a dozen or so young men walked past our compartment followed by two armed police. Next we knew was that the next compartment to us had been commandeered by the police and the two occupants asked to come in with us. It seems that the young men were illegal immigrants, found on the train by the police and herded into the next two carriages ready to be taken off at the next station to be taken back to Budapest initially. The only problem was that at the next station there was a 15 minute wait for reinforcements which our two extra guests were anxious about as they had only a short changeover time for their next trains in Vienna. Finally the reinforcements arrived and the illegals taken off the train, some in handcuffs!! Our excitement for the day!

    A lovely apartment for our two nights, near to the Opera House and only a five minute walk into the centre. A short walk to the Cathedral (which we couldn’t visit properly because of an upcoming service - something for the next day!) via a Monument Against War and Fascism, afternoon tea and cake, down to the river and then later having our evening meal at a pavement table in a very busy restaurant.
    Read more