Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    The Golden Spurtle

    September 17, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    If you ever get the chance to do Park Run in Aviemore, go for it. A beautiful course through birch and pine woods and onto heathland. Chatted to runners and volunteers as I set off this morning after a bacon, black pudding and egg roll. Tasty.

    No idea where I went but endured another summit (this time only 405m ) before finding a world famous village. Carrbridge is home to an old bridge. But its claim to fame is the Annual Golden Spurtle World Porridge Making Championships with entrants from all over the world. Can't wait for October 8th, 10am, Village Hall.

    Made it through Inverness with no sight of Nessie. To be fair it wasnae good weather for the poor wee beastie.

    Over the bridge with about 1000 cyclists doing a supported ride. Passed one of their pitstops with food, 2 ambulances, coach and bike trailer, motorcycle stewards etc etc. Later on passed some of the group looking weary. Only 100 miles per day and nothing to carry. Easy-peasy.

    Stopped at Moy Viaduct for a bite to eat. It has won awards and is made of wood. Just like you see in those old Western films. The train going over it made it with nae bother.

    Dingwall is interesting. The Beatles played here on January 14th 1963 apparently. And Frasers the family butcher won The Scottish Black Pudding Championship in 2010. They've never reached those dizzy heights again.

    Good view of the castle from Tesco car park.

    Altnaharra tomorrow, Thurso the day after, then JoG on Tuesday morning and home Wednesday. Hurrah. Only 165 miles to go.
    Read more