Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Do you know the oldest lake on earth?

    June 30, 2023 in North Macedonia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    By foot we cross the border to Macedonia at lake Ohrid - the oldest lake on earth. It is 288 m deep, has very clear water and many animals live only here. The Ohrid trout is a special fish and a delicatess. But it is in danger because of overfishing. Therefore we decide not to taste it.
    The city of Ohrid is very special, too. We love the small houses with red roofs at the hillside as well as the nice view to the lake. Many Macedonians call it the most beautiful city of the country. It is a touristic place, but not as touristic as comparable places in Western Europe.
    Of course, we take a bath in the lake and visit a historical archeological place, where was first a temple, then a church, then a mosque and now there is a church again.
    The day after, we hike on top of the Magaro mountain (2255 m) in the Galičica national park. On our way, we meet a very friendly couple from Belgium. It was such a nice hike with you, Marie and Michel! We had amazing views to lake Ohrid and lake Prespa and enjoyed interesting talks. We hope, to see you again some day! :)
    Read more