Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Day 13 at the biuld

    April 16 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    We drive to the biuld and can not believe how much the home has changed. It has a roof, a screeded floor and two wooden front doors.
    Our job today is to bag wash the blocks.
    We begin by collecting water from the pond. We carry buckets in pairs, and the Gogo pops hers on her head. She is stronger than us all!
    Bag washing, I learn is a cement wash that is thin enough to brush over the block walls filling the holes so they are waterproof.
    Some of us change into old clothes as we have been warned we will get messy. Lesley wears old PJs.
    It's hard work on your arms and splatters everywhere. I kneel down to do the low parts and let others go up on the scaffolding.
    The son of the family is cheerfully helping us as he has done every day.
    As we are clearing up the tools, we notice the Gogo and children leave and are all dressed very smartly.
    5 mins later, the most beautiful singing rings out across the site.
    We ask Chris, and he says they have gone to church. We ask if we can go, yes, but you must try not to get upset. We walk following him towards the sound.
    They have a tiny church full of people wonderfully singing the most beautiful songs, it sounds like it's coming from their souls.
    There is a grandfather in a suit at the back cradling a tiny baby. The church is ramshackle and brings home to us all that church is more than a biulding, it is faith. They have it in spades and seem truly thankful for things and seem happy that we are enjoying their service.
    We say goodbye and return to the lodge, shower and go out for dinner.
    Read more