Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Chillin' Tuesday

    October 4, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    Our burn rate was exceeding our allotted budget so we decided to take a bit of a break. Nevertheless, stuff happened that might be worth mentioning.

    Our hostess recommended a bakery a little off the main strip, so we found a new shopping area we did not know of before. We bought food staples for some homemade meals. Across the way was a leather shop where I found a camel leather belt made in Morocco and Ruth found a purse that in Winnipeg would have been 3X the price. 👍

    Ruth was not done finding a good deal. While I was having an afternoon nap she found a two piece bathing suit (very adventurous for her). Anyways, you can tell by the photos that she rocks it.

    The rest of the afternoon we were at the beach. I caught a shot of a three year old destroying the sand castle his dad and he had started. I laughed out loud and told him my son Walker had the same tendancy when we built snow forts together.

    Further down the beach were some older guys playing keep up. These guys were good, perhaps even pros in their day. It was a joy to watch.

    On the theme of sticking to our daily allowance, we had a dinner of Indian food and chicken curry leftovers.

    We've been going for an evening stroll and did so again. We met a fisherman married to a woman from Newcastle catching sea bass and mackerel. He told us about the lights (boats) on the horizon catching squid (limit of 10 kilos per night per boat). Apparently the squid are attracted to the lights. He was from a local family so I asked about a soccer team. Albufeira's team are called "Immortal Desporte Club" and are currently in the third division hoping to advance next season. I'll see if I can catch a game.

    We walked the rowdy strip, where the drinks and music were flowing liberally, as a way to appreciate how much "quieter" it is where we are. Then we capped off the evening by sharing a cup of chocolate mint ice cream before heading back to our place.
    Read more