Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Bus trip to Lagos

    October 3, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    CONTENT WARNING: Not the most exciting day

    We were looking forward to a trip along the coast from Albufeira to Lagos. Disappointment on two fronts: the day was hazy and visibility was poor, and the bus route was considerably inland to catch the various smaller communities along the way.

    On the upside we got a view of the countryside, but it was not particularly picturesque. Locals say they've had very little rain over the last two or three years. Vegetation that is not irrigated looks parched, brownish and struggling. A lot of cultivated fields look rocky too, so it seems like agriculture is a tough way to make a living.

    It seems like most people live in apartments. At least on the routes we took there were very few single dwellings. Even when looking over a valley the view was taken over by high rise buildings.

    Another interesting feat was the driving skills of the bus drivers as they negotiated roundabouts, maneuvered down narrow streets and worked out right of way with oncoming vehicles.

    Lagos has some old architecture, interesting sidewalk patterns, rocky formations along its coast and a substantial canal leading from the sea to their marina We hopped on a train like a tourist vehicle thinking it would take us by the more interesting features in one hour. It was not to be however as the route just showed us suburbs and got us close to sights without actually being able to see them.
    Read more