Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 55

    The Upper Swan Valley

    December 14, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We headed for the Upper Swan Valley this afternoon, after watching the toss for the 3rd Test Match and some of the first session this morning. We can sit on the apartment balcony and see the WACA floodlights with ease, but will not have the opportunity to visit until the fourth day, match and weather permitting. Yes, you've guessed it, rain is forecast. You couldn't write the script! This is the final test match to be played to here at the WACA and its replacement, the new Optus stadium, is practically ready. It is over the river on the Burswood peninsula and is stunning visually and state of the art. Everything has been thought of and I understand they are to play one of the ODI's here. The new stadium is not limited to cricket, which in the modern world is only sensible. It is a real tour de force and can only add to Perths attraction.
    We are booked on a Swan Valley Wine Tour tomorrow, but it will be limited to the Lower Swan, so we thought we would investigate further by ourselves. It is about a 30 minute drive, so close for a major city. We drove to the north end of the loop and found 'Lamonts', which had been recommended for not only its wine, but lunch. The wines were super and lunch just as good. We were driving, so limited ourselves to the one Winery, knowing that there would be more to come. At the far end of the Swan Valley, the great river has shrunk to a trickle of its lower self, quite amazingly so in fact. There are many more produce outlets beyond wine within the Valley. In fact, I think one could say there is something for everyone. Chocolate, ice cream, nuts and nougat, cider, vinegars, preserves and so it goes on. We had a good tasting and came home knowing that an evening meal was out of the question. Cheese and wine would do - we brought it home with us.
    Of the three wine regions we have 'studied'(?!) The Swan Valley is by far the smallest and less intensive and we will be able to have a better idea after tomorrow.
    We had a walk along the river on our return. It was a beautiful afternoon. There were black swans on the ponds below the apartment building and as the sun began to sink, the view was special. The cricket was not quite as disastrous as we had feared. Dawid Malan scored a hundred and Johnny Bairstow is going well also. Fingers crossed things will improve
    Read more