Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 8

    May 24, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    The weather was finally sunny and clear, so it was the perfect day to see Mt. Fuji. But first, we had to experience a traditional Japanese breakfast, and surprise, it was nothing like we ever thought. We had - potato salad, lettuce salad, yogurt with something made of gel, random pickled veggies, miso soup with a lobster inside, a full fried fish, a huge bowl of rice, small seaweed bits, and a (basically) raw egg. It was sooo much and really not that great. But an experience.

    We walked about 2km from the hotel to get a nice view of Mt. Fuji. And of course, some of the only clouds in the sky covered parts of the mountain, but it was still very beautiful.

    Then it was on to Kyoto with the train. We arrived to our super nice hotel (the room is huge!) did laundry, and decided to go get a drink. The downstairs bar was closed, and the next one we wanted was smoking (so many bars and even restaurants are smoking) so we ended up finding a tiny little bar on the 3rd floor of a building, and it was the best decision we made so far.

    Milton is the owner of this art bar that fits 6 people. It’s super tiny, and full of art that he painted and sculpted himself. He even drew a very detailed map of the area to point out his favorite bars, restaurants, and hangouts. It is the coolest thing. He was really nice, and spoke pretty good English, which we’re finding is incredibly rare here.

    His map recommended a ramen place a couple streets down, and it was by far the best thing we’ve had on the trip so far. Not even close to the ramen in Berlin. Then we had a few beers at a bar down the street and watched baseball - a very entertaining game with the Osaka team playing a team from Tokyo.

    We wanted one more beer, and found a random “happy” bar on the second floor and had a drink. We headed home and went to bed at about 1 in the morning.

    Steps ended with - 14,817
    Read more