Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Himeji Castle and Kokoen Garden.

    May 9, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    We are off to Himeji Castle and I had the directions figured out to a tee, best laid plans went south pretty quick, but after a bit of head scratching and a couple of helpful subway assistants we were on the right train and the right track. Somehow I had it in my head we would be heading out into the countryside for this trip, and it did seem like it briefly, but we pulled up at Himeji Station and it was obviously still very much a part of the city.

    About an hours trip out here and we were both a bit dubious it was going to be worth it. We could see the Castle in the distance and it looked pretty much like the one yesterday. Built in 1346 this 600 year old treasure is known as the White Heron Castle. It is a very imposing structure with massive grounds and many surrounding buildings. Yesterday’s Castle was impressive but this one is incredible. The whole main keep has been restored to its original glory. Massive timbers were used throughout the 7 floors of the main keep, gorgeous gates, tiles, windows and lots of hidden doorways and hatches.

    If you paid another 40 yen which I think is less than a dollar you could visit KoKoen Gardens as well. We like gardens so that was our next stop. They were so peaceful and lovely, tea houses, fish ponds, little gazebos everywhere. Perfect.

    A bit more head scratching and we figured out the train to get back. My poor calves, so many stairs today. Being a tourist can be hard work!
    Read more