Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 115

    Anbangbang Billabong

    August 10, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    What’s the first thing you do after a mountainous 12k bushwalk? Naturally we warm down with a 3k flat walk to watch birdlife.
    It was so worth it.
    We saw some Egret involved in either a mating dance or territorial dispute, and a hunting Jabiru - incredible.

    The next morning we rode our bikes back to the same billabong for a guided tour with some indigenous park rangers. The highlights in this trip were spotting a pair of Forrest Kingfisher attacking a termite nest high in a Melaluca tree. The Jabiru back and successful in catching a big Long Tom and the ensuing fight to get it down his gullet (not sure about sexing a Jabiru from a distance - he would have a black eye - she would have yellow). There was also a nesting Honeyeater on watch near a native bee sugarbag.
    No crocs spotted, although there are some enormous residents salties.
    Of course there are bloody feral pigs at the Billabong ripping up the grasses. The last aerial cull was 2 years ago. This place deserves better care.

    The process of putting ourselves on the outside of a couple of schooners at the Golf Club might be a highlight of our short lives so far.
    Read more