Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 192

    Cossack update

    October 26, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Living and working here in Cossack is such an experience. During the days there are visitors looking around and photographing the buildings, scenery and the wildlife. Less than 2k down the road there is a camp site on the beach (book in advance or you’ll miss out, and please move on after 72 hours so others can have a taste) so it is a destination kind of a place.
    At night we have it to ourselves. Well not completely. The caretaker and his lovely wife live permanently in the old Police Barracks building. Chef Bruce, who was enticed away from his travels hack in June lives in his van over behind the Galbraith & Co building, and we are located behind the Courthouse (currently a museum) and one of the town wells. Outside the bricks and mortar there are plenty of other residents. The Galah population here is really large, a Nankeen Kestrel has a nest in the eves of the cafe with 2 or 3 chicks. They have been spending time away from the nest so I expect they will be off doing their own thing soon enough. Spinefex Birds and Zebra Finch are populous as well. Surprisingly Sea Gulls only visit in ones and twos - until yesterday when some food was left on the terrace tables and a squabbling 30 or so descended. We can usually see large Turtles from the jetty wall at high tide, and folk report Saw Fish sightings - haven’t seen them yet.
    at least two types of kangaroos, and the last few nights we have been visited by Spinefex Hopping Mouse. The latter is so cute with their great big ears, chubby kangaroo proportioned body and legs, a log tail with tufting along the last 1.5cm and super speedy side-step. Side-hop?
    Read more