Satellite
  • Day 358

    Alice - visit #2

    April 10, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    The main purpose of this visit was to restock before our first National Park Camp Host engagement. It appears there will be no internet or phone reception, so we will have our next Penguins Chat at a later date. We will be in Palm Valley, Finke Gorge National Park for 3 weeks.

    Sunday night - some more fun at Parrtjima, a Festival in Light. https://www.facebook.com/ParrtjimaAustralia/. Test your imagination on this. The West MacDonald Range rises precipitously for 320 meters out of the plain in Alice Springs and is the 300million year old canvas for the light-show. This vast display was beautifully connected to the grasses and sparse Forrest of the plain in the foreground. It felt like we were in a thunder-storm.
    The artwork represents the Arrernte people’s connection to the land through twice written stories, once in the ground and once in the sky, helping them curate the land. Who knew the story of Budgerigar as the connector and guide to water. The sky tells that the season for rain is coming. The Budgerigars show it’s location.
    All this on a T-shirt night under a blazing Milky Way.

    Monday it’s back to school to finish a St John Ambulance First Aid course. You will be in good hands if camping with us causes your heart to stop. The Bluetooth gizmatry in our resuscitation mannequins says we operated at 99% and 100% efficiency.

    Final preparations for the move to Finke Gorge National Park include meeting the lovely Kylie who is the coordinator for all the NT National Parks camp hosts. Now we are loaded with the information and tools to do our hosting thing.
    Read more