Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 420

    Manning Gorge

    June 11, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Inbound to Manning Gorge we had two superb free camps. The first called “Top of the World” on the banks of the Drysdale River, the other was on the Hann River, at the less-imaginatively named Hann River Crossing. Both were ideal spots where we could easily have stayed 2 or more nights. How can you not love a flat, quiet, pretty, isolated, unpopulated, clean and free site.

    A small setback as we were packing up after a lunch stop on the Gibb River Crossing site. I discovered that the bolt that secures the caravans 2 right hand shock absorbers to the swing arm was gone! Not sure how long it had been like that. Probably on the road into Drysdale which had some killer corrugations. A bit of bush mechanic wizardry and away we go.

    We had been expecting Manning Gorge Campground to be pretty nice, but expectations exceeded. The camp is spacious and spread through bunches of trees and feels more private than the number of campers would suggest. The amenities are great, but the swimming hole is unbelievable. Stretching for a few hundred meters, it has a wide sandy beach, the water is clear and variously deep and shallow, mostly sandy bottomed, with big smooth rocks poking out here and there that invite you to come out of the water to sun yourself. There are rope swings, jumping rocks and other amusements.
    The walk to Manning Gorge starts on the opposite side of the swimming hole and they have installed a hand drawn barge so you can start the walk with dry shoes. The kids love it.
    The rock pools at Manning Gorge are …….. even better! Add a waterfall, a touch more remoteness - such a recipe for bliss.
    Read more