Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Waterfalls

    December 17, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Glorious weather again next day (Sat). After breakfast we drive through Rosebery to the parking area for Montezuma Falls. It is advertised as 1.5 hours each way, so quite a long walk. It is along a former tramway beside (and mostly well above) the river. Lovely thick rainforest. Glad we have a path. We see a few other groups of people, mostly younger and faster than us. We take our time, strolling, looking at the flora and the river. There are lots of boggy places which we gingerly try to skirt as best we can. Most fellow walkers wear Blundstone clodhoppers so blast straight through the soggy bits. Rest break. The walk takes an hour and 25 minutes, so the advertised time is correct. We have another packed lunch at the falls. A fellow walker takes our photo and tells us about Anthony Road (stunning views - tomorrow) heading towards Queenstown.
    We spend some time at the falls. Absolutely majestic. 104m high with plenty of water flowing after the recent rains. We venture onto the narrow swaying suspension bridge which is a long way above the river.
    We walk back to the car a bit faster. A couple we meet had just seen a large tiger snake blocking the track. "We threw lots of stones at it to get it to move off the track." Our progress slowed from here. Every stick and piece of bark looked like a snake in the dappled sunlight.
    Safely back to the car. Back in Rosebery we looked at the unsung Stitt Falls.
    A little very interesting cricket on TV, Australia v South Africa. Again we dined in the Lakeside Bar & Grill, and again the dinner was adequate. We leave tomorrow.
    Read more