Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Big Boat Bonanza

    September 6, 2023 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    The day started slow, with the realization that Norwegians don't really have breakfast and a good chunk of cafes don't open up until 10am.

    We headed towards City hall and boarded a ferry to Bygdøy for a day of exploring some museums. First stop was Norsk Folkemuseum, which is one of Europe's largest open air museums and consists of a range of historical Norwegian buildings from the 1100s to the 1960s.
    My favorite building was the Gol stave church, Phills was the historical farmsteads and all the wood carvings on the buildings. After spending a few hours walking around we headed to a cafe to finally have a bite to eat and a well earned coffee: only to be disappointed that the coffee (that we paid almost $5aud each) came out of a machine and was tepid, the pastries weren't a letdown and were thoroughly enjoyed.

    Our next stop the Flam museum. We saw 2 very impressive boats that were used in Arctic exploration and learnt alot about their travels. This museum was more interesting than I expected, the building itself was actually constructed around the boat!

    The final museum of the day was the Norwegian Maritime Museum where we saw a viking boat from 900ad as well as Norway's oldest boat - which was just a hollowed out tree stump.

    The day concluded with more exploration of the city and pizza for dinner.

    Seeya in Flåm.

    PS. the seagulls seem to be bigger here?

    Bec steps: 24,000
    Phill steps: 23,000
    Read more