Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    A ruin-ed holiday

    September 25, 2023 in Greece ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    This morning the tour started by taking us to the Acropolis and the Pantheon. We fought our way through the massive crowds and toured the top of the city. The views and ruins were as impressive as we had hoped - and our tour guide gave us more information about the history and the myths surrounding its creation and partial destruction.

    We hopped on our coach and then headed to some other major sites in Athens, including the Panathenaic stadium - which was very impressive. I would not have liked to participate in sports there, it may be beautiful but it was hot.

    We then ventured to our next destination, stopping at the Corinth canal and then in a small town for lunch, where we enjoyed stolen rolls and from our breakfast buffet and a bought affagato.

    We finally got to our accommodation in Nauplia; Greece's first capital city. We had 2 hours before we needed to gather for our dinner adventure so we decided to go for a walk around this beautiful town. On our travels we walked towards a hill in which the fortress of Palamidi sits, we got to the base and thought 'why not, we can do this without water, sun protection and in a dress' 999 steps later we definitely earned our dinner.

    We got to the top and realized we didn't have enough time to spend the 18 euros to enter the actual fortress, so we walked straight back down the stairs towards our hotel to shower off the sweat.

    We had a group walking tour around the town with our guide and learnt more about the history before jumping on a boat to see the fortress and the island a little better. Once we disembarked we headed to an included 3 course dinner (with wine) where we ate with our travel companions and was serenaded by lovely Greek men playing guitars and smoking.

    After we ate too much we went for a late night walk through the laneways and headed back to the hotel for a good sleep before more sight seeing tomorrow.

    Today's steps
    Both: 17k
    Read more