Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    My-seen-it

    September 26, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Our first stop after leaving our accommodation and breakfast today was Epidaurus where we visited an ancient open air theater that was built in 400BC and has remained unchanged since 200BC. Due to its incomparable acoustics, the actors can be perfectly heard by all the 15,000 spectator seats.

    We then headed to our next stop which was The archaeological sites of Mycenae and Tiryns which are the ruins of two major cities of the Mycenaean civilization, which was prominent from the 15th to the 12th century B.C. and played a vital role in the development of classical Greek culture, with it being linked to the Iliad and the Odyssey.

    After these sites we headed on the bus to our lunch stop where we enjoyed 'cheese bread' which was just pastry stuffed with 3 different kinds of cheese. Not far from where we had lunch we stopped again at a pottery warehouse where they showed and taught us how the ancient Greeks made pots and how they recreate/maintain the pots for museums.

    After 2 more hours of driving we finally arrived at Sparta. Here we walked around the ruins of ancient Sparta and saw a statue of Leonidas, his tomb, and the town's Acropolis. Phill very much enjoyed this as he would keep kicking things yelling 'This is Sparta!!'

    Dinner was included at the hotel, so we enjoyed our 3 course traditional meal of pasta, pork and a dessert I cannot name. We headed up to the room to watch the movie 300 while Phill drank a beer called 'Sparta'

    Step count
    Both: 20k
    Read more