Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 70

    A castle a day

    November 12, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    Our covert carpark accommodation worked out well for us this morning, with our bladders full we walked into the town centre to buy a coffee. While we had access to free wifi we stayed a while to plan our day while uploading the plethora of images and videos from the day before.

    With that done we walked back to the car, but not before getting distracted by a coffee van that was parked 10m from us. We ordered ourselves another coffee, as well as a crepe! Then got chatting with the lovely attendant.

    We weren't expecting to be still around the town at 12pm, but the time came around anyhow. There were more Christmas markets opening at that time, so we had one more quick trip back to the town centre. The two of us are quite happy that we didn't wait specifically for them, because the new stalls weren't any good.

    With that ticked off, we were back in the van and off to our next adventure! Aughnanure Castle! A 16th century fortress which was home to the O'Flaherty clan. We got lucky as the groundskeeper told us when we got there that not only was it the last day of the season that the castle is open, but it also is free entry. Nice!

    We explored the castle and its grounds, which were especially interesting as the interior was mostly free for us to explore.

    After that we continued onto one of our most anticipated stops. The 1897 Happening! You won't believe it, but at that site in 1897 nothing happened!! Isn't history wonderful?

    With our heads still spinning we took the short drive to where we are staying for the night: the town of Clifden.

    Once we arrived at our fancy new accommodation (another parking lot) we went for a walk of the town to scope out our first official Sunday Roast. Lady luck was not on our side. And so we visited some supermarkets for inspiration, and ended up with a wrap and some snacks. We finished off the evening watching movies in the van!

    Step count: 19.2k
    Read more