Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Start of Ring of Kerry

    April 26 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We’d parked by a castle overnight so felt we should probably go and visit it after our breakfast in the village. Bunratty castle is one of the only complete castles in Ireland. Original site was a Viking camp in 970, a castle being built on in 1425 then restored in the 50s to what it is today. The grounds also contain a village of various types of dwellings, shops, school etc from different ages in Ireland. Was an interesting morning spent looking around. We then headed off past Limerick and south again to pick up the Ring of Kerry, a 179km scenic circular route around one of the south peninsulas. The original reason I wanted to do the Ireland road trip.
    We started at Killarney and began clockwise round as recommended so we don’t get caught behind buses and large motorhomes. We only did a small stretch but the scenery was already stunning, shear drops overlooking woodland or vast lakes, mountains, very green. Very windy roads a lot like the Furka Pass in Switzerland. There are lots of historical/natural wonders around the Ring that we can just stop at. Everything seems very well signed which is handy as the phone signal is intermittent. We stopped for a walk through the woodland to Torc waterfall then further on stopping at a high up viewing vista called Ladies View where Queen Victoria once came. Beautiful view. We continued on to find somewhere to stay. Where we hoped to, in Kenmare, was right next to a stone circle. There were no overnight camping signs so that was a no go however we visited the small stone circle anyway. The guy running the entrance was giving out little cards to write wishes on and hang on the wishing tree by the stones. Very sweet idea. Made our wishes and thanked the goddesses as a little robin flew down and landed on the stone next to me. The symbolism of our ancestors wasn’t lost on me. I was quite touched.
    We continued on and stopped for pizza in the same village. Not really anywhere to stay but the chef at the restaurant gave us some tips. These didn’t pan out so we drove further along to a motorhome stopover in Sneem, by the water. No facilities but a nice view. Popped into the local pub to use their facilities then a quick wander around the village whilst the sun set. We will complete the Ring tomorrow.
    Read more