Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Ha Giang Loop - Day 2

    April 22, 2023 in Vietnam ⋅ 🌩️ 29 °C

    Sore butts.

    Left Dong Van this morning to go up to the northern most part of Vietnam, Lung Cu. From here, we could see where Vietnam ends and southern China begins. While we were here Matt became the tourist attraction again and had numerous photos taken with him.

    After lunch we went through one of the most beautiful spots of the country, Ma Pi Leng Pass. We drove some sketchy dirt roads and were rewarded with (not having to walk up and) incredibly beautiful 360 views of mountain peaks and paddy fields.

    In Meo Vac on route to our home stay, we visited a site where once a year they hold a “Love Market” where ex lovers come together and just mingle. Weird. It’s almost like a festival of sorts!

    Our home stay was very homely. A mattress on the floor with a giant mosquito net and a wasps nest right above us (and a wasp on the mosquito net that’s been there for a while…). We had dinner with locals in a very communal setting. They fed us lots of delicious Vietnamese dishes and lots more rice wine! (Literally brought out a 20L plastic can of homemade rice wine..).

    As I’m writing this now it’s raining. Not just drizzling but full on thunderstorm, this wooden-old-house-is-going-to-blow-away type storm.. Gotta love Asia!
    Read more