Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 90

    Tortuga Town!

    July 23, 2018 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    So I only knew of this place from the Lonely planet and knew from someone in the hostel in San Jose that it had a lot of rain. So much that they had been stuck for two days as the boats couldn’t get up the river.
    It took us three buses and a taxi to get to the boat to take us to Tortuguero. The last bus from Cariari took us through some big banana plantations and farmland which was under a lot of water. It had clearly been raining a lot! We got on to the boat and it was instantly obvious that the river was swollen (coming back the level had dropped 2m) and there were crazy Eddie currents everywhere! Me and Diamaid (Irish bloke) were in a boat with all of the luggage. We hit a tree very soon and at that point the transfer boat took on a new guise as an unexpected adventure tour. Nice!
    We got to the dock after about an hour of crazy boat ride, just in time for the heavens to open and soak us! Great news when you have to walk around and find somewhere to stay!
    Found a hostel, booked a canoe tour for the morning, eat and hit the hay. Long day and another 5:30 start in the morning.
    Read more