Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Abel Tasman Day 2

    November 22, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Fueled up and hiked out from Totaranui, we turned around at Waiharakeke Bay just short of the overnight hut at Awaroa. We did not want to mess around with tidal crossings.The route is part of the Abel Tasman coastal track, another of New Zealand's great walks.

    Stunning beaches, the contrasts between the sandstone golden beaches and crystal turquoise blue waters are unique compared to the rest of South Island's rocky beaches. A relative easy walk with one massive hill, if the incline killed us on a day hike I am sympathetic towards the guys doing the full shebang it will be hard after 4 days of walking. A magical day with the outstanding natural landscapes. The climate and relaxed atmosphere made it a wonderful place to have quality time in the outdoors. We stopped for a delicious NZ pear, soaked up the atmosphere with some fellow walkers and made our way back. We got creative with some interesting photography, on Goat bay.

    We were back earlier than planned, so we decided to smash a workout. I went for a 5km run to explore the surroundings, I found the overnight huts for the multiday walk & saw the rest of the campsite . Roedolf did a 25 min workout. We embraced the Doc site's cold showers after building up a sweat - not 5 star but does the job ( I am getting good with this). Back to the windy road to where the road takes us next, we are becoming experts at planning en route.

    {Issy}
    Read more