Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Aussie bay campsite

    November 23, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Aussie bay, recommended by a kiwi lady, at the last wine tasting was a bit of a longer drive than I anticipated after a couple of wines earlier today, but it was a very scenic drive. The scenery was much different compared to before. The drive alongside Queen Charlotte sound almost reminded me of Bermuda's coast line without any houses.

    At the campsite we were lucky to get the last parking spot with a little bit of a view. The site is a DOC site with only a long drop (with Christmas lights around the toilet roof) and a tap with water that you have to boil or filter before drinking. It works on the honesty self help check in again, at $8 per person it is not bad considering the scenery and that it is located in a national park.

    We did not have change so the best we could do is to put $20 in the envelope. So glad we did that as a DOC employee came by not long after we set up camp to check everyone had already paid. He thanked us for our honesty and insisted that we take change.

    The site was only 11km from Picton which gave us time in the morning to enjoy a nice breakfast with a view and say goodbye to the South Island before making our way to Picton.

    We enjoyed seeing the troubles our neighbours had to endure in a very primitive camper van compared to ours, actually similar to the one we booked before we got upgraded. We don't have it bad at all!
    {Roedolf}
    Read more