Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Ridin’ The Storm Out

    September 19, 2022 in Japan ⋅ 🌧 81 °F

    Day 18

    Today was literally a “wash out” as we waited for the Typhoon to pass. Most site seeing opportunities were closed, the trains and streetcars were shut down, and it’s a National Holiday (Respect for Elderly Day) which further restricted what was open.

    Our trip leader did arrange a last minute visit from a Sake Sommelier which allowed us to learn a bit of Sake history and enjoy a tasting. Our Sommelier is a second generation atomic bomb survivor and she shared the stories of both of her parents. Many survivors experienced discrimination over their lifetimes because others thought of them as poisonous, employers would not hire survivors because they feared they would become sick, and finding a spouse was difficult because it was believed that they could not have normal children.

    Even now there are an estimated 120,000 survivors and many still will not share their stories even with their children for fear of discrimination or survivors guilt.

    With most everything shut down we went on a stroll looking for anything that may be open for dinner and finally stumbled across The Shack Bar & Grill hidden on the 5th floor of an obscure building. What a gem of a hole in the wall. A bar, restaurant, karaoke joint run by an Indian ex-pat with Japanese locals and occasional lost tourists as patrons. Perfect ending to the day!
    Read more