Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Miyajima

    September 20, 2022 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    Day 19 ~ 13,010 Miles

    Today was our last full day in Japan and this morning we caught the local train for a one hour trip to the Seto Inland Sea and then boarded the ferry to Miyajima. As we approached the island I noticed that the Typhoon debris heavily littered the beach which served as a reminder of our good fortune.

    This small island is home to Japan’s most beautiful and recognizable torri gate, Itsukushima Floating Torri Gate. It is a UNESCO designated site and sadly is currently completely covered for maintenance!

    We visited the Itsukushima Shrine, albeit at low-tide, which was beautiful but during high-tide it looks as if it is floating on the sea.

    We chose to visit the massive hall known as the Hokoku Shrine which was wondrously constructed in 1587. This shrine sits next to an equally amazing 5-storied pagoda erected in 1407.

    We were stalked by overly friendly free roaming deer and I battled a small buck for a bag I was carrying…I won the battle. The buck did manage to pickpocket a brochure from Jay’s pocket and in a goat like manner enjoyed his stolen snack.

    Our evening ended with a beautiful farewell dinner with our fellow travelers. Tomorrow we begin our journey home.
    Read more