Satellite
  • Day 127

    Day 127: Snorkelling Tour

    October 20, 2016 on the Philippines ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Super early start this morning to make it in time for the snorkelling tour! Up at 5:30am and munched a crappy breakfast of some biscuits I'd bought the night before, gathered my stuff and out the door by 5:50.

    Annoyingly, our van took ages to arrive, and we didn't actually end up leaving town until around 6:40. It was a pretty short drive to where the little boat was "docked" (read: washed up on shore), and because of the low tide we had to wade about 50 metres out into knee-deep water to board. It was a tiny little trimaran with a noisy generator for an engine, but once the two local guys had pushed it out of the shallows (a process that took 20+ minutes) we were off on our way.

    I'd thought we were going to see dolphins or whale sharks, but apparently not as the boat went directly across the channel to a small island called Balicasag. This island was basically a few acres of sand in the sea a few kilometres offshore, and it was here we transferred into even smaller boats to start snorkelling.

    Once we'd paddled out a bit over the reef we jumped in and straight away spotted a whole bunch of turtles. Some were swimming around, others were just chilling out on the sea floor nibbling at rocks and whatever turtles do. Beautiful sight, and I got some great footage with the GoPro, using it for the first time since the elephant sanctuary.

    Back into the boat and down to the other end of the island where we snorkelled over a coral reef. The coral wasn't in great condition, and none of us were impressed to see our local guide walking directly on it! The fish were OK, though not that populous. I did manage to find Nemo though!

    Back to shore where we transferred back to the larger boat, and then started heading back towards Bohol. On the way we stopped on a tiny sandy atoll called Virgin Island - it looks so small that it would disappear at high tide, though there was a sign and what looked to be semi-permanent structures there so who knows. Unimpressed to be in the middle of the sea, several kilometres from dry land, and having locals try to sell fake pearl jewellery to us! Even saying that I had no money wasn't a problem - I've got a boat sir! It's very fast. Sigh.

    And before we knew it, our time was up and we were back on Bohol. Another wade to shore, and van ride and the tour was all over by 12:30pm. A bit shorter than I'd expected, but snorkelling definitely tends to be tiring so not that disappointed. Had lunch on the beach with the American guy, and agreed again to have dinner with the others - this time we'd definitely have seafood on the beach!

    Spent the afternoon lazing in my room and around the pool before heading out in the evening. Our whole group was there, plus a couple of German backpackers tagging along for fun. We found a good seafood place on the beach where we all filled up - not quite as cheap as I was hoping for but still a good meal. Entertained during dinner by a local troupe of drummers and fire dancers which was pretty good.

    After dinner everyone else was starting to kick on at a local pub, but I stuck to my no alcohol thing and bailed around 10pm. Last night in Bohol - it's been interesting travelling without Shandos for the week! Definitely glad I managed to make some friends, as it wouldn't have been the same without them. Very much looking forward to reuniting with my wife again though!!
    Read more