Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 2 Valparaiso

    November 8, 2023 in Chile ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    So sleep still a little disturbed but we have good breakfast natter with Chris and Mark fellow travellers !
    Then we negotiate both tube and bus and we’re off to the coast for the day!
    It’s a quiet journey to Valparaiso through the coastal mountains , scrub , vineyards and occasional saguaro cactus stumps !
    It’s an amazing blue sky day and we negotiate the trolly bus downtown to Plaza Sotomayor.
    We overshoot as the bus driver drives like a demon and the doors slam shut like a trap !

    Valparaíso is a port city on Chile’s coast. It's known for its steep funiculars and colourful, clifftop homes and art murals and graffiti
    We visit the port fish market and some churches before reaching the square with its monument to the fallen , city centre offices and art deco buildings .
    It’s then up the 1902 funicular railway to reach a curiously green supposedly Yugoslavian walk and art nouveau folly-esque Baburizza palace !

    Up now in the Cerro Alegre region it’s mural after mural in an area that has echoes of San Francisco hills, streets and houses and also the Swiss French Jura region with their corrugated walls ! It’s all colour and steps and buildings and murals and art ! It’s really very impressive and you can wander around for hours which is what we do!

    A brief beer and we head home for a good meal and beer before a night cap or two and an education of Pisco drink ! Is it Peruvian or Chilean? We try and get the answer from the stylish barman in ch-pe libre bar of the independent nation state of both countries ! It’s scenes from Cocktail but not Tom Cruise but Venezuelan finest fast talking bar man ! We are relieved and it’s been a good day ! Other videos on Facebook !
    Read more