Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Toronno or Teeo?

    May 2, 2022 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    Over these two years, there have been times when I wondered if this would ever be possible again. This trip was planned for April 2020 and it's wonderful to get on the other side of the Atlantic at last. I'm in the same party that visited Spain in February with Dave and Alan, with Russell to follow a week later. Entry to Canada is not seamless; the arrivals lounge is chaotic and spot tests for Covid are carried out there. It takes a couple of days to shake off the anxieties, plus the jetlag, but a good introduction to Canada awaits.

    Although we're into May, Toronto is still emerging from its winter slumber and the trees are a month behind those of London (the UK one, that is). Besides its usual pronunciation of "Toronno", I have heard it referred to as Tio or Teeo. A city of 6 million people, it's the financial and commercial capital of Canada (though Quebecois might argue that it's not the cultural one). What prewar architecture remains has a Scottish baronial/French look about it, with the ever-present CN Tower looming in the background.

    Toronto is no stranger to street art, or to little delicatessens, let alone nice little bars where beers from all over Europe can be enjoyed. Plus of course Canada's own superb range of beers. The Prenup (pictured) lies on the edge of Chinatown, maybe not up to the vibrancy of those in New York and San Francisco but colourful nevertheless.
    Read more