Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Almost a carnival

    February 27 in Dominican Republic ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    To my immense frustration, there have been no Sunday carnivals as the tourist guides had led me to believe. What does happen, on 27th February, is the annual Independence Day celebration. Independence not from Spain as one might expect but Haiti, which by the early 19th century had freed itself from France and abolished slavery. As the first Latin American country to gain independence, Haiti then occupied the Dom. Rep. for 20 years, to be driven out on this day in 1844. Sadly of course, the downward spiral in Haiti's fortunes---reparations to France, the Papa Doc regime and the 2010 earthquake---have led to its becoming the lawless state of today and the border with the Dom. Rep. is closed.

    Dominicans however are hugely proud of their heritage, with the colours of red, white and blue everywhere. School parties, marching bands and soldiers parade the streets in full regalia. The Malecon brings out dozens of street food sellers to satisfy the spectators while back on Parque Colon, a lone reveller has her moment in front of the camera.

    Would I go back to the Dom. Rep? My having been there 20 years ago and with the attractions of Cuba and Mexico next door, probably not but it's been a satisfying trip.
    Read more