Satelliet
  • Dag 8

    Rio 6- Carnaval parade

    26 februari 2017, Brazilië ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    A day relaxing in the hostel before a last meal courtesy of Chef Richard! Off we headed through the street parties to the Sambadrome! This is a purpose built street with a stand either side in which the Samba schools of Rio parade down and compete. This is what you see when the carnaval is shown on tv at home.

    An amazing spectacle, thousands dance down the street in the most colourful costumes, with floats up to three tiers high covered in dancers (sometimes topless! As certain men the row down had clocked, zooming in with their cameras).

    Each school has a theme running through their performance. We saw film villans (including some very cute minions), slavery and nature. It started with the King of Carnaval- Momo walking down the street. On Friday he took the keys of Rio away from the mayor and took over until the end of carnaval.

    Each samba school has a song which is played on repeat throughout their performance. With rhythmic beats they were catchy even if you don't know a word of Portuguese! We danced along with the music and headed back in the early hours... travelling to Iguacu falls tomorrow!
    Meer informatie