Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Iguazu falls

    February 27, 2017 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    After a few too many hours of sleep and two flights we arrived in Foz do Iguaçu, the city on the Brazilian side of the border. We are staying in old shipping containers, a lively quirky hostel called tetris. Slumming it in dorms, but the free caipirinhas make up for it, and the two cute dogs! After arriving we made a Brazilian friend Edison who had amazing images of the falls and gave us some tips on the days ahead.

    We booked onto a tour of the Argentinian side, not realising that we would be guided through the park itself. With such a busy park our poor guide Daniel had to put up with two German chimney smokers from our hostel, who were as slow as snails!

    We meandered through highest and lower levels to get the mist breathtaking views of the falls. There are hundreds of waterfalls crashing down and the cooling mists lift up high- pistyll y rhaeadr has a lot to live up to!

    Later in the day we went on a boat ride which take you right under the falls. One way to cool down on a very hot and humid day! When we were finally drying out the skies opened for the daily tropical storm, and we got even more wet. With our shoes squidding we made it back to the hostel for our free Caipirinhas!

    Having drunk a mouthful of untreated water in the park before I thought better of it, the next day for me was spent lying in the hostel common room with the dogs for company. James went exploring the Brazilian falls, and in the evening we crossed the border into Argentina and boarded the 17 hour bus to Buenos Aires.

    Hostel: Tetris container hostel, so funky we had to stay there. Every part was made from old shipping containers. We shared a 6 bedded dorm and were greeted by a blocked toilet. Typical dorm life. It cost £28 for two nights, but included the perk of breakfast included and a free cocktail every night, and they did taste good!
    Read more