Satellit
  • Dag 18

    Perito Moreno Glacier

    8. marts 2017, Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    El Calafate was a shock to the system after the busy hot cities. A small town on the side of an aquamarine lake, it's like Betws-y-Coed full of quirky touristic places. Flamingos feed on the lake shore, while hundreds of stray dogs wander peacefully around in packs. Our hostel is cosy, with friendly staff and fellow travellers. I'm making use of its free tea service as I type.

    A trip to the glacier is a must in this area and it was awe inspiring in its size and beauty. Stretching over 5 km across, this great hulk of ice is alive. Cracks and thunderous roars are accompanied by the fall of great chunks of ice to the lake below. We spent hours walking along the different viewpoints and taking it in. The cost to the park was expensive but worth it for the spectacle.

    Travelling within Patagonia is expensive as well, but the views should pay off if the weather holds! Waiting for a bus to El Chalten now, hoping to hike to views of the Fitz Roy mountain!

    Hostel: I Keu Ken. Such a friendly hostel, which was obvious from seeing everyone huddled together around tables through its misted windows. We had a 4 bedded dorm which we shared with a rather pessimistic english couple who though the glacier was a let down! Two nights for £20 and as is with the best hostels breakfast was included.
    Læs mere