Satellite
  • Day 75

    Rome - Walking Tour

    October 14, 2015 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    The walking tour took us to some of the interesting-but-not-superstar level sights in the city (which is a good thing because we were going to see the big things anyway).

    We saw the Column of Marcus Aurelius (#1), with its very detailed spiralling relief story, the remaining side of the Temple of Hadrian (#2), pockmarked by the removal of valuable brass (used by Romans to strengthen stone structures, apparently unnecessary). We also saw the Pantheon, but being almost hemispherical inside, it was difficult to photograph (if you're interested: http://www.monolithic.org/domes-more/the-panthe… ).

    I particularly liked the Sant'Ignazio Church because it had painted ceilings to make it look like it had high arches and a dome (#3,4), when in fact it has flat ceilings (look closely at the photos!), all done by a priest who painted as a hobby.

    After the tour we wandered across Piazza Navona, with its Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi (Fountain of the Four Rivers, #5), and later Altare della Patria (Altar of the Fatherland, the largest monument in Rome, #6), both lit up very nicely at night.
    Read more