Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 94

    Snorkelingtour Murion Island I

    March 3, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Today we had to get up early as we need to be in the town center at the Exmouth Diving center at 7.30 am for our Murion Island and Outer Reef snorkeling tour.
    So after a quick breakfast, we packed our bags and left drove to their place.
    We checked in and got our equipment for today and then could take a cup of tea while waiting for the last people to arrive.
    We are a really small group. Only 3 people snorkeling and 6 divers. So that’s pretty cool to not be so many people on the tour today. As everyone arrived and checked in we jumped into a bus and drove about 5 minutes to the marina. Our skipper was already waiting for us and as we were all super motivated we helped the crew to unload the trailers and carry all the tanks and the equipment to the boat. So we were done fast with it and could leave early! Nice!

    The cruise to the Murion Islands took a little bit more than one hour. We got some cold pizza to snack on the way and refreshments were always available for us!

    Everyone on board was enjoying the beautiful weather and perfect sea conditions for this trip!
    We saw a couple of dolphins passing by not too far away from the boat so the day is starting really well already. 🥰

    We first went to the north Murion Island and stopped on the west coast of the island at the dive site called The Maze.
    First, the divers got ready and into the water and then it was our turn to get ready and jump into the water as well.

    The reef here is definitely having more color then the parts we saw so far. I had to ask, as people may think from my pictures that the Ningaloo Reef looks dead, but it is not!!! It's very healthy and alive! The mostly brown color is from the hard corals. Here are not so many soft corals and that's why the reef is not as colorful as you may expect it to be!

    We saw a lot of fishes. Also, a lot of fishes we haven't seen before! It was just amazing and so much better to be out here than snorkeling close to the beaches.

    After almost one hour it was time to get back to the boat do drive to our next snorkeling spot.
    I was pretty tired from this trip as the current is partly pretty strong and snorkeling for almost one hour in the open ocean without a break is not as easy as I was expecting.
    So the break was nice.

    It was around 15 min to drive to the Whalebone, where we will enter the water one more time.
    Read more