Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 432

    We’re moving......

    May 29, 2020 in France ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    OK so we are mobile which is good news but we are heading west which is the bad news as we really need to go North.
    The thing is we were getting very itchy feet and although there was an update on further lockdown easing measures no reference was made to the full opening of the waterways. We already knew that l’herault and Le Gard had decided to allow pleasure craft on the Petit Rhône, Canal Rhône a Sète and the Canal Midi provided no locks were needed but that the locks were to open today the 29May. We discussed options with some English and French liveaboards and decided to head towards Sète for a change of scenery as there were no locks and the two bridges that needed to open were manned.
    So today after a leisure breakfast and a farewell cuppa with Chris and Fiona off we went. It was great to be on the move, we had no real plan about how far to go but we have reached Frontignan and arrived just in time for the lifting bridge, wonderful. We were passed by one Peniche thank goodness we were on a wider section as there was little or no room, the keel scraped something but we were only 1m from the Peniche so couldn’t go any closer. On our way we saw a few collections of houses in random places, it looked like you had to reach some by boat as no road we could see. There were lots of flamingos, herons, bee eaters as well as seagulls and black winged stilt, a new one for us. We will however be returning to Aigues-Mortes on our way back towards the Rhône as we managed to leave our pushbikes there, muppets.
    Read more