Satellite
  • Lisbon - a Turnaround Day

    March 2, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    We’ve been on the move through Portugal for two months and have ended up Lisboa, drinking Second Cup coffee and seeing tattooed and pierced individuals speaking an assortment of languages. A different world from the one than we have been in as we moved around. Less laid back and a lot more hectic.

    The train from Sintra to Lisbon was quick and took us to Rossio station that is within a block of the apartment we are staying in for the weekend, and right in the centre of the city. We can see the castle on the hill and walk out the door to a grocery store and bakeries.

    We are preparing for our trip to the Portuguese islands of Madeira and then to the Azores so will only spend 2 nights here. Enough time to buy a few groceries, do a quick load of laundry (we don’t like carrying dirty laundry!), contact our bnb hostess, contact a car rental company and read a bit about Madeira before we go on Sunday morning.

    Tomorrow is Saturday and Carnaval antics will be something to enjoy and to remind us to be vigilant of pickpockets.

    The plan for Saturday is to walk down to and along the river and have lunch at the Time Out market. If there is a Carnival parade, we will check it out.

    Not a super exciting day but we know that we will be back Lisbon at the end of the month and we will make sure that we see Belem, the puppet museums, the Fado museum and other interesting places. We are just getting a feel for it now, while thinking of the green mountains of Madeira.
    Read more