Satellite
  • Day 91

    On the Road to Paradise

    March 10, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Today started out drizzly but we were looking forward to driving on the 46 kilometre drive from the centre of Queenstown to Glenorchy, towards Paradise. It is considered to be one of the world’s great drives. The winding road follows the length of Lake Wakatipu, a deep glacial lake surrounded by soaring mountains and famous for its scenic beauty. As AA Traveller says, “Is there a more amazing drive? Forty-five minutes of emerald lake water and bush-clad hills, against a backdrop of snow-touched mountains.” Our answer is, “Not that we know of.”

    Lake Wakatipu has been used as a location for a number of films including The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Movie makers flock to this area.

    As usual, the drive took us double the recommended time because we just had to stop and take photos. Each spot we stopped at seemed to be more beautiful than the one before!

    Seven km from Queenstown we stopped at the Seven Mile Point Reserve. From the creek, there is a walking and a cycling track that passes through bush and pine forest and leads to Seven Mile Point. Our families and their kids would LOVE that bike trail!!!

    Ten km from Queenstown is a secluded bay called Wilson’s Bay. it was a lovely spot to pull over and enjoy the amazing views. The beach was made up of thousands of smooth colourful stones. Friendly ducks waddled up to us, expecting a snack. They know the routine.

    We passed signs indicating various walks that people could take - the 2 - 3 hour Mt Crichton Walk – one of the best short walks in the region. Then the Bob’s Cove Track – an easy walk around a forest and scenic cove to a lookout with gorgeous views of Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkables.

    Then we got to Bennett’s Bluff Lookout. What a view! Postcard views of Lake Wakatipu with a mountain backdrop. Wow

    Just over halfway to Glenorchy, we started to climb up a mountain on a winding road next to the cliffs. Around the last turn, we were met with amazing views of the mountains towards Glenorchy as well as Pig and Pigeon Islands. Pigeon Island is the largest island on the lake.

    And then we arrived in Glenorchy Village.
    Read more